Dave & Kate & Connor & Chumpy

Monday, April 18, 2005

Working Mom

Posted by Kate

I have signed my contract for working at the school next year. I was guaranteed to have my job back, teaching grade 3 and 4, but I told Garry, my principal, that I would prefer to work part time. It takes absolutely all my energy to teach all day and plan for the next day. I didn't think I would be able to do that and properly take care of my family. So I will be working 50%. Part of the day I will teach gr.3-4 and part of the day I will be doing resource, working with kids who need extra help. I'm going to teach every day, from 11:00 to 2:30, plus whatever time I need for planning. This is so great for a couple of reasons: I have always wanted to do special ed., I will probably have to spend less time planning, I don't have to rush Connor out of the house in the morning, and Dave can take care of Connor for most of the day when he is working afternoons. My cousin Brieanne is going to take care of Connor the rest of the time. It also works out really well for some other people too, because the teacher who took my maternity leave can still have a 75% position at our school and our other resource teacher can reduce her hours like she wanted.
In Jan. and Feb. I was really not looking forward to going back to work, but I am past that. I feel really good about the plan for next year. It means that we cannot save money as quickly to buy a house, but we are willing to make the sacrifice. It's really important to me to stay home with Connor as much as possible, because that is my job now too.

|

 
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com